Friday, February 18, 2011

Weekly 4

SCRIPT
Setting: Events occurring at the same time as the Peloponnesian War
Characters:
Delia- Narrator
Pericles- Leader of Athens
Cyanae & Elpis- Caretakers of plague people
Drakon, Jonas, & Barnabas- Townsmen
Heracles- Athenian soldier
Zenon- Spartan soldier

PROLOGUE-
Delia- Athens, at one time, had proven to be the central power of the world. Nobody had a clue of how amazing and powerful Athens would become, but they also didn’t have a clue as to how quickly this ancient Greek empire would fall. Throughout this story, you’ll realize the hardships and pain Athens went through.
ACT 1-
Drakon, Jonas, & Barnabas- Well, good morning, Ms. Delia!
Delia- Good morning, gentlemen! How’re you on this fine morning?
Drakon- Not too well, Ms. Delia. You see, Pericles has caught the plague that has recently hit Athens! Our leader can’t defend us in battle, so the Spartans might defeat us!
Delia- No! This can’t be so!
Jonas- But, yes ma’am it is. But, hopefully, the Gods will pull through again for us, and defeat the Spartans!
Delia- Hopefully. Barnabas, why haven’t you said much?
Barnabas- I’m sorry, Ms. Delia, but I just finished talking to Heracles before we came here, and he said there is no way Athens will defeat the Spartans.
Delia- I’m going to go have a fine talk with that man!
(Delia walks into to town to find Heracles, the Athenian soldier)
Delia- Heracles! Oh, Heracles! Do I have a word to pick with you!
Heracles- I’m sorry, Delia, but it seems as if there’s a huge problem down near the water and I must get too it!
Delia- No, Heracles, you stay right here! You can’t go around telling innocent, naïve Athenian people that we aren’t going to win this hard, cold war against the Spartans!
Heracles- But, it seems as if we have already been defeated. The people of Athens didn’t know that Pericles has been down the plague for 6 months now, and he took his last breath this morning. I’m sorry, but now I must go!
(Heracles walks away)
Delia- Oh my goodness, how could we let this happen to us? Athens was once so strong and noble, and now we’re falling apart, bit by bit. I must go see Elpis, I know she had to have been taking care of poor Pericles.
(Delia runs to the house of Pericles)
ACT 2-
Delia- Cyanae, dear dear, Cyanae! Have you seen my close friend, Elpis?
Cyanae- Oh, yes ma’am. I was just at Pericles household with her. We were both taking care of him. I’ll take you straight over there!
Delia- Thank you dear!
(Spartan soldier stops them on the way to Pericles house)
Zenon- Now where do you think you two are going?
Delia- We’re going to the house of our leader, Pericles!
Zenon- That’s where you THINK you’re going, you can turn around and walk all the way home. There are no rights for you Athenian people ever since your leader died.
Delia- I beg your pardon!
Zenon- You heard me lady, now go.
(Delia and Cyanae turn around)
Cyanae- It’s okay, that stupid Spartan soldier has been guarding this road for days. I know a back way to get into Pericles house!
Delia- Oh, thank you! Bless the Gods&Goddess for helping me make it to Pericles’s house!
(Delia and Cyanae enter the house of Pericles and see him dead in bed)
Elpis- Cyanae! Cyanae! Where have you been?! I’ve been looking all over for you! What are we going to tell the people of Athens?! How can we let the Spartans control us without a fight?! How can we let this happen! Our leader is dead!
(Elpis is in tears)
Delia- Now, Elpis, don’t you worry. This isn’t your fault; you kept Pericles alive longer than anyone could. We’ll make it through these hard times. We will! Now, Cyanae, grab Elpis some water, please?
Cyanae- Yes ma’am!
Delia- Now, we’ll hold a town meeting explaining what has happened to poor Pericles.
Elpis- Delia, you know we can’t do that. The Spartans won’t allow it.
Delia- We’ll ignore those stupid Spartans! This is between the Athenian people!
(Delia leaves to go get Heracles)
Delia- Heracles, I apologize for the way I acted towards you earlier. But, I need to ask a favor of you.
Heracles- It’s okay, Ms. Delia, I understand completely. Now, what is that favor?
Delia- Could you risk holding a town meeting to inform the Athenian people that our leader, Pericles, died of the plague?
Heracles- Oh, I don’t know, Delia, that’s a huge risk. I could be killed by the Spartans.
Delia- Please, Heracles! I’m begging you!
Heracles- Fine, fine.
Delia- Thank you so much Heracles! You don’t know how much this means to our people!
(Two days later Heracles holds a secret town meeting with the Athenian people in one of the theaters)
Heracles- PEOPLE, PEOPLE! PLEASE LISTEN UP. WE NEED TO MAKE THIS AS QUICK AS POSSIBLE, SO THAT THE SPARTANS WON’T GO OUT OF THEIR WAY TO KILL US!!!
Delia- Heracles! My God! Don’t say that!
Heracles- Sorry, Ms. Delia, I’m just a little nervous….
Heracles- People of Athens! I’ve called this meeting today to inform you that our dear leader, Pericles, has died of the plague that has taken over Athens.
(Athenian people are distraught and upset)
Heracles- Calm down, everything will be fi-…Oh, no..
Delia- What is it Heracles?
Heracles- It seems as if the Spartans have found us.
Delia- What?!
Zenon- You idiots! You didn’t think the SPARTANS would find YOU?! Please! You all better get out of here before I condemn you all to death!
Heracles- Zenon, don’t you dare talk to the people of Athens that way! They had a right to know the information I was sharing with them!
Zenon- Please, like anyone cares about your failure of a leader, Pericles! He’s dead, people! And you’re all under Spartan rule!
(Heracles tackles Zenon to the ground)
Heracles- Don’t you ever talk to my people that way, I’ll kill you right here right now with my bare hands!
Delia- HERACLES! ZENON! STOP!
(Delia pulls Heracles off of Zenon)
Zenon- How dare you! You don’t know what you’ve just begun, Heracles.
Heracles- I’m sure I do, now if you don’t mind I’ll be getting back to my ATHENIAN duty.
(Zenon pulls out his sword and tries to stab Heracles)
Delia- HERACLES, LOOK OUT!
(Heracles dodges the sword, and whips out his own sword)
Heracles- Two can play that game, but only one can win!
(Heracles stabs Zenon, and Zenon drops to the ground)
Zenon- You just made the biggest (Zenon starts to die) mis..ta…ke..of…y…yo…your..life.
(Zenon dies, and the rest of the Spartan soldiers show up)
Heracles- Quick, Delia! We have to hide before they see us!
(Heracles and Delia run away, but Heracles wasn’t fast enough)
Delia- HERACLES! HERACLES NO!!!!!
(Heracles is captured and killed by the Spartans in front of Delia’s own eyes)
EPILOUGE:
Delia- After Heracles was killed, the Athenian people had no hope in regaining Athens back. Many people died, starved, or were killed by the Spartans. But, Heracles died a hero. He died as a man of the people of Athens, and made sure that the Athenian people had their rights as much as possible.

THE END

1 comment:

  1. This script really suffers from lack of references to actual events; the assignment specifically requested that.

    ReplyDelete