Sunday, January 9, 2011

Interview with a Foreign Exchange Student

Interview with Kelly Seo YoungJin, Freshman from Korea


Q1: What was the purpose of moving to the United States?
A1: There are a lot of clubs and foreign languages I could learn. Also, it gave me a chance to work together with other people from different places. My family wanted me to see what it is like in other countries and give me the chance to work with American people.

Q2: How long have you lived here?
A2: I moved here on August 26th, 2010. I’ve been here for 6 months. It’s been really awesome. I’ve been to a bunch of favorite places in America, and John Carroll has been a really great school!

Q3: What languages can you speak?
A3: I can speak English, Korean, and French. I’m better at French than English. English words never sound the way they are written! It makes things confusing, but fun!

Q4: What is your main language at home?
A4: The people I stay with speak Korean and English. We don’t really speak one language, we speak both. I like English a lot. It’s fun to read and speak, but French is my favorite.

Q5: What is different from American school work and Korean school work?
A5: In Korea, they didn’t give us much homework. Here, they give us homework every night. But, in Korea kids were always studying because we had a test in school every day. In America, we only have tests sometimes. But, I like having homework better than having a test every day. I think it helps me do better when we have a big test.

Q6: What part of Korea are you from?
A6: I am from Seoul Korea, I really liked it there but the United States isn’t that bad either.

Q7: What is your favorite part about living in the United States?
A7: I live in Bel Air and I really like it here. Everyone is nice and they are always trying to help me since it’s a little hard for me to understand and translate to people. I also like the family I am staying with. They are really supportive and help me.

Q8: What do you miss about Korea?
A8: I miss my dance teacher because he taught me how to dance well. But, he can dance better than me. I miss my friends, too. We hung out every day, but I get to hang out with my new friends here.

Q9: What is different from the United States and Korea?
A9: In Korea, any students wander the streets after school. Here, students go home or play sports. Also, students here don’t have a lot of time to hang out with friends because school gives us a lot of work. But, I don’t think the people here mind.

Q10: Were you comfortable with moving here?
A10: Yes. I was really excited to move here, too. I think it was fun to make new friends and to meet new people. It was a little hard leaving my friends back home, but I know I’ll see them again once day!

Q11: Do you like John Carroll? Why or why not?
A11: I like John Carroll. I got to meet my friends and exchange students just like me! Also, the teachers keep me after school to translate my work, and to help me understand my assignments better. John Carroll has been really helpful.

Q12: Was it easy for your parents to get jobs once they moved here?
A12: My parents don’t live in the United States. It was easier for them to stay in Korea and keep the jobs they have there. But, if they wanted to live here, I’m sure they could get jobs really easily. They are very smart people!

Q13: Does any of your family live in the U.S.?
A13: No, all of my family lives in Korea. I stay with a family while I’m here. They are really nice and fun to stay with. But, my family does visit sometimes to see how I’m doing. I miss them a lot, but I know I’ll see them soon hopefully.

Q14: Do you comfortable now that you have lived in the U.S. for a little while?
A14: Yes, I feel more comfortable. Everyone has been really nice and easy to work with. I stay after school and hang out with my friends, and the teachers are always trying to help me do my best and get good grades. I really like it here and I tell my friends in Korea they should try this!

No comments:

Post a Comment